Sunday, February 12, 2012

Love is god

On this, the eve of St. Valentine's Day, I want to talk about love.  Not Hallmark Card, sappy movie, romantic-dinner-out, flowers and chocolates love, but Real Love: basic human, for all people equally, unconditional, life-giving, nurturing, whole-making, restorative Love.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a little piece and did a show about the military,  about what seems an innate human warlike component to our natures,  and on the toll that takes on each of us, realize it or not, and on the nature of life in general.  I got a few responses that were really interesting and thought-provoking.  Surprisingly, or maybe not, they were mostly from men, who were wrestling with the whole male, testosterone-inflected and -infected, brute-force-is-the-answer reflexive response to so many situations.  This was weighed against the question of whether there are just wars, situations which have gotten to a point at which there is really no other answer, no way to deal with the brutality of one side, except for the use of force by another.  The big touchstone in recent(ish) history is, of course, WWII;  given the madness and carnage being wreaked on the Jews, Gypsies, and really the whole of the rest of Europe by Hitler, what else could we do but respond with force?

History, even more recent history (Pol Pot, Gaddaffi or however the hell we're spelling his name today, Milosevich, Idi Amin, the Afrikaaner regime in South Africa, Lester Maddux and George Corley Wallace in the American south of the 60s Saddam, right up to Bashar al-Assad in Syria right now) is rife with examples of brutal despots who will stop at nothing to maintain or extend their power and influence.  The US has hardly been blameless in such endeavors, from our treatment of Native Americans to African Americans to gays to--well, you get the idea--and we also frequently back the bad guys overseas because it furthers our short-term economic interests, and we seem incapable of thinking beyond the short term.  Gore Vidal once said that we have no public memory before last Tuesday, and I think we have no public vision beyond next Monday.

One common feature of all the evil leaders I've listed above is gender:  all are obviously men.  A couple of you suggested that perhaps it was time to let women step up to leadership roles even more than they have done in recent years, and I've often thought that myself.  It seemed to me that women, who carried and bore and raised us would be less likely then to send us off to die for lack of a better way to resolve conflicts.  But I'm not sure that Maggie Thatcher, or Golda Meir, or Angela Merkel, or Michele Bachman, or Phyllis Schlafley ("Nuclear weapons are a wonderful gift from a wise and loving God"), or, especially,  one of the sickest and most evil people walking the planet today, Ann Coulter, would really be any kind of a step forward, or up.  Scientists worry about the effects of all of the increased incidence of estrogen in the environment, but somehow testosterone levels seem to be rising in women....

If it's not as clear-cut and simple as a gender issue, that women are inherently more likely than men to be nurturing and to seek alternatives to violence as a means of conflict resolution, then what?  Here is where I enter dangerous territory for me, because what I'm going to say seems contradictory to things I've said and acted for much of my life, and because, because of the previous clause, I don't really know much about the religious or spiritual aspects of the stuff I'm going to espouse (when has that ever stopped me?):  but the answer really has to be Love.

As in so many areas, I have lagged behind my wise and wonderful wife in understanding human needs and the essences of life.  When our kids were little and I was learning the enormous responsibilities and efforts required to make these beings who were here through my own actions into good and caring people, as they would behave in ways that, let's say, needed adjustment, I would instinctively go to punitive mode.  Alice's direction, though, was toward making sure that they were getting enough love, that they knew that they were loved, unconditionally.  When we'd see or read about or watch on TV examples of nominal adults evincing evil behavior or just being assholes to someone, Alice would say that person "didn't get enough love."

That thinking made me cringe at least a little.  I saw it as weak, as forgiving, reinforcing, and maybe even enabling behaviors that needed changing.  Maybe it's a result of my own diminished testosterone as I age (have you seen the back of my head?  I haven't, but apparently there's not much hair left there.  Do you know that--well, let's just leave it at hair loss, shan't we?), but I have really come to see that, while it may not be true that "All You Need is Love," the need for love and acceptance (which are really the same thing)  is paramount:  it has the single biggest impact on all of our other needs and desires and ways we interact with the world.

In contemporary America, at least, I think the concept of unconditional love has become twisted, bastardized, turned on its head.  Where the hell did all of the "helicopter parents" my generation has engendered come from?  Why have we become so desperate to be friends with our kids at the expense of being their parents and guides?  Partly because we don't want to be adults ourselves, I think.  But doing for,  unwillingness to confront, to help change, does nothing positive.  Nobody wants to be a jerk; they behave counter to their best selves because of a perceived lack on their part of something crucial to their lives, to their selfness.  I would certainly argue that that lack, if they could articulate it, is sufficient love.  We ALL need to be able to say to those people "I see that you're hurting.  What is it that you're missing, what is it that you need?"  The answer, I'm convinced, is gonna be "love."

Yes, this is easily dismissed as rose-glassed, starry-eyed, Hippie-peace-and-love claptrap.  It doesn't take into account chemical dysfunctions and mental illness, but if the rest of us are set up differently, even those pathological/physiological issues can be surrounded and dealt with in other than violent ways.  People who assault, who rob, who kill, who perpetrate heinous behaviors on the rest of us, might have led entirely different lives if they'd been loved enough.  Thinkers down through the ages have promulgated these ideas, from the Greeks to Jesus (setting aside the whole "Son o' God {TM}" discussion, spreading the gospel of love is a pretty powerful and cool idea), Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Dr. King, to, bringing it all back home to music and pop culture now, John Lennon.

Now, John Lennon was a controversial figure, and really not a nice person in many, many ways, especially as a younger man.  He was violent, he treated women badly, he was caustic and cutting in his wit and his lyrics.  He was also abandoned by his parents at an early age, raised by his auntie, who did her best but couldn't fill the void in his soul, that lack of love at crucial ages and stages.  Say what you will about Yoko, but his relationship with her effected a huge change in his outlook and behaviors.  He was killed before he could complete the journey, killed by someone who didn't get enough of the same things that Lennon himself had lacked.  As Mind Games says "Love is the answer and you know that for sure/Love is the flower, you got to let it, you got to let it grow."

Say to a pure Marxist that Communism has been shown to be a total failure, and that person will reply, "How do you know?  Pure Communism has never been tried."  Say the same to a Capitalist about Capitalism and you'll get the same response: "In its pure form, it's never been tried."  I'm pretty sure we can say the same about pure, pervasive, unconditional Love.   How do we finally start it?  Dunno. But what have we got to lose?

Hope you can join me for lots of "Love" songs (but not really of the "moon, June, spoon" sort) on Tuesday, VD, from noon til two on 100.1 FM or wool.fm.  I also hope some of you will be moved to jump in here with some comments to further a discussion....

What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?

6 comments:

  1. I pulled out a dusty bible given to me by the primary department of the Congregational church of Laconia NH in 1960. Coincidently, the pastor of the congregation was Eric Bascom, of the Bascom maple syrup family! Here's what the apostle Paul has to say about love in 1 Corithians 13:
    "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
    Love is patient and kind, love is not jealous or boastful; It is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things,believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
    Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease, as for knowledge, it will pass away. For our knowledge is imperfect, and our prophecy is imperfect; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. So, faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."
    Thanks Mark, you are a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, that's a hard act to follow. In fact, two hard acts... Mark, in reply to your email, "Didja miss me?" -- yes! I did and sadly I am going to miss you tomorrow, as I have a meeting downtown, from which I will race home to try and catch the end of your wooly love fest. I often think about the things you wrote. Living in this crazy world, it's hard to avoid pondering war and madness on the one hand, love and goodness on the other. Thanks, Mark - you are a natural blogger!!

    Tom, that's a great quote. I've heard it before, but never knew where it came from, so thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am too moved to comment, and will simply love instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no substitute for the real thing. Hey, I know how it makes me feel. I really like it...
    And when I share love, I feel even better.

    Give a smile, get a smile... Give a hug, get a hug... Give Love, get Love. see the pattern?

    Love ya, man. (and no, I don't want your Bud Light)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love and Tolerance

    This discussion has got me thinking, about what love is really all about. Sounds good, unconditional love and maybe (to be honest) not entirely attainable. I was listening to a discussion between Maya Angelou and Congressman John Lewis on npr recently. Lewis spoke about his relationship with Martin Luther King, and the struggle that they had with the inhuman racism rampant through the south in the early 60's. They did the most courageous thing, they took a stand against that injustice through a practice of non-violent protest, at great risk of harm and death. I am humbled when I think about it, astonished really. This is admittedly, just "starry eyed" idealism that won't happen, I know; but can you imagine if everyone were able to overcome the ingrained survival instinct, (after all, we are all going to die sooner or later) and fearlessly stand-up for justice? What would have happened if the prisoners in Bergen- Belsen had refused to labor for the nazis, and instead sat down in protest? Easy for me to wonder in the comfort of my home. I'm just saying, wouldn't it be great if we could deny the desire of all megalomaniacs, and refuse to fear them?
    I also wonder about tolerance. Where should we draw the line? There are obvious lines that should be drawn, but what about in our own lives here? Shouldn't we all strive to be more tolerant of each other's beliefs? What about the issue of abortion for instance? Sometimes we dig in our heels and refuse to (at least) listen to what the other person is thinking. I'm from NH, and it's ingrained in me that no one is going to tell me how I should live my life, and so I understand why a woman can't accept someone telling her what she should do with her own body. I also understand that a fetus is human life, and life to me, is sacred. There are more questions than answers in life (for me). We all have to come to terms with these moral dilemmas, and maybe respectfully (lovingly?) agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 2 cents on love:

    We can't find love by seeking for it. We have to BE it. When we embody and share love whole-heartedly and unconditionally, it returns to us in spades. This seems obvious, but most of us go about it backside-to wanting to be loved, FIRST. Often the more we want something, the more it eludes us. Love is no different.

    L

    ReplyDelete