Sunday, April 22, 2012

Markness Visible

We children had, for instance, proper hands; our fluid, pliant fingers joined their skin.  Adults had misshapen, knuckly hands loose in their skin like bones in bags; it was a wonder they could open jars.  They were loose in their skins all over, except at the wrists and ankles, like rabbits.

We were whole, we were pleasing to ourselves.  Our crystalline eyes shone from firm, smooth sockets; we spoke in pure, piping voices through dark, tidy lips.  Adults were coming apart, but they neither noticed nor minded.

Perhaps Annie Dillard was right, in that passage from her brilliant memoir An American Childhood: perhaps the adults in her life didn't notice or care about their incipient decrepitude.  Or perhaps, brilliant and precocious observer though she was, the young Annie missed the whole and true adult reaction to their changing bodies.

One of the things I found most frustrating as a younger parent was the fact, which I have expressed many times to (too) many people,  that childhood is so brief, adulthood so long.  Children grow up in a flash: birth to toddlerhood takes less than a minute, preschool-to-highschool about a week,  and then they're your contemporaries, in a fashion, though they'll always be your babies.  Adulthood, though: even if it's just nominal, as in my case, adulthood is, if we are fortunate, a long plateau.  Oh, sure, there are subtle changes along that plateau--a few extra pounds, some lines and wrinkles, aches and pains that didn't use to come, or were sloughed off quickly if they did--but, for the most part, most of us are designed for a 40 or so year cruise at the height of health and power,  accumulating knowledge and wisdom, abilities and skills that further the race in our natural roles.

And then, around 60, things start to change.  Hair turns gray at 20, for some people, and falls out at 30 for others.  Wrinkles gradually happen.  But in the 60's real and portentous change starts in earnest.  Wrinkles deepen, widen, proliferate; age spots show up; aches and pains worsen and become chronic; skin does sag and loosen, as Dillard notes.  Weight shifts, even if it doesn't increase any more.  As the old saw has it, "As I get older, I find I have a particular furniture problem: my chest is in my drawers."  Gravity is not our friend; sure, it keeps us on the planet, but increasingly it reminds us that our connection to the earth is getting even closer and will eventually be deeper.  I see it happening in the mirror and in my friends and loved ones, and it is sobering.

I've been mulling an update of Allen Ginsburg's most famous work to address these issues, although re-doing the whole thing would be way too daunting.  I have the first lines ("I squinted at the best bodies of my generation destroyed by gravity and excess, far from starving, hysterically naked,/dragging themselves from bed at dawn looking angrily for the Fixodent", and the title (I hope you think I do titles pretty well; I think it's my strongest suit),  Jowl.  If it hasn't been done, it's surely ripe for it.  Maybe by you?

And then Levon Helm died last week, as I'm sure most of you know.  Last of The Band's three fabulous and distinctive vocalists and maybe the best-known, for his leads on The Weight, The Night They Drove..., Rag, Mama, Rag, Cripple Creek and a slew of others, as well as for his rock-steady drumming, mandolin-playing, solo albums, and his few acting roles, most famously in Coal Miner's Daughter.  At the height of psychedelic excess The Band carved out a much simpler sound, a slice of Americana (though Helm was the only American in the group), a return to three-or-four-minute story songs with understated yet virtuosic musicianship.  Their very name bore out their ethos (no "Strawberry Alarm Clock"s or "Cat Mother and the All-Night Newsboys" for them), and none other than god himself, in the guise of Eric Clapton,  a veteran of great excess, both musical and recreational, during stints in The Bluesbreakers, Cream, and Blind Faith, championed their music, said it changed his life, and hoped to join forces with them.  They already had a pretty good guitar player in Robbie Robertson, so EC got his roots fix on a tour with Delaney and Bonnie instead.  Lots of rockers flamed out early, of course, and died in rock-star ways.  That Levon Helm, a determinedly "normal" star died at an age and in a manner so "normal" hit me harder, I think, than the deaths of many others.  I'll play a couple of hours of Levon and The Band, then, as well as Gene Clark's "Some Misunderstanding," which I find sad and elegaic and uplifting at the same time.  Hope you can join me on Tuesday, noon-till-two eastern at 100.1 FM, wool.fm intergalactically.

Life is a carnival, believe it or not....

 
 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really hits home to your friend here who is just a few years behind you in aging and child rearing... I think I've been going thru a mid life crisis for a while. And I was also so sad to hear about Levon Helm, sad to see so many of that generation passing on.

    When I look back at photos of my younger self, I am surprised to see how good I looked then, but of course at the time I didn't appreciate it at all! So now, at 54, when I look in the mirror I say to myself, "You better appreciate what you see, because in 10 years, you will wish you were back at this age!" I try to remember that true beauty comes from within and I think about my 68 year old art teacher who I was in love with, and how at 16, I thought his wrinkles & white hair were lovely. It's easy to be idealistic when you have "fluid, pliant fingers joined... to the skin!"

    Anyway, check out Johanna Quass - she is 86, but that doesn't stop her from doing some amazing gymnastics! What an inspiration.

    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/other-sports/video-here-86-year-old-johanna-quass-doing-gymnastics

    Thanks for another thought provoking post!
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I heard that Levon Helm had died while listening to NPR. When did our youth turn into Volvo culture....
    But when I heard, I was hoping nothing else would happen to give you a different idea for a your show tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow Mark, great line about our connection to earth getting closer and eventually deeper! Was listening to npr this week-end and the discussion turned to a whole new benefit to gravity, not realized here on earth; and that is the engineering feat it takes to seperate one self from, well, lets say, stuff while sitting on the john in the space station. Now for some advise from someone south of 60; don't look in the mirror any more, and when you see a picture of yourself with your grandson, just deny that its you (it works for some) and always wear a baseball cap, even at weddings and church. Oh, and just keep on keeping on.. and groovin to wool.fm tuesdays noon to two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poignant post, Mark. I watched "The Last Waltz" again for the umpteenth time on the day Levon died. Almost made me cry, again. There was something so sweet, and so sad, about their music. Takes me back to the 70s when I was a feckless young father trying the do the right thing and struggling, sometimes desperately, to make a living. But there was still fire in there, you know, & Levon & all the others helped keep that flame, mostly the unearned self-regard of youth & relative privilege, flickering. That fire is mostly gone now. That's what I mark most about my own aging. There's the sagging, & the hair loss, & the vision problems, & the age spots, & the steady accretion of cluelessness, but it's that missng spark that slaps me in the face every day. Anyway, my life has been fairly fraught the past few weeks (it's "whack-a-mole" season on the family front again) and your posts are a gift. They're refreshing & carry the cachet, to my senses anyway, of a kind of straight-ahead sanity. It's comforting to know that there's someone else out there who kinda sorta thinks the way I do (you know, sanely), & can articulate those thoughts with such clarity & grace & humor. You're really good at this, dude. Kudos! -Jeff

    ReplyDelete