Sunday, April 29, 2012

Does Distress Make Me Look Fat?

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday.  Originated in 1923 by an air-traffic controller in London, that now-familiar term is used internationally as a distress call in radio communications.  From the French venez m'aider ("come help me"), it's always, like Beetlejuice, repeated 3 times, to ensure that the listener knows it's an actual distress call and not a message about a distress call, or some mistaken radio chatter.

I've been talking recently with a few people, mostly Alice B. Fogel (alicebfogel.com, in the shameless shilling department, which probably should have been Curt's nickname although it's spelled differently) about writing these posts and about their content and about how to get through the world.  You know, light, casual stuff just thrown over the shoulder as you walk out the door in the morning.  Turns out I mostly can't help writing about topical stuff, about the state of the world, about "What's goin' on"-- although much of me wishes I could just let it all roll off, and only pay attention to the daily business of living my life, which has plenty of its own stresses, along with, fortunately, great measures of joy.

But there is so much to be distressed about these days, as I've said before and as we all know too well, and a lot of it's stuff I've already written about, still there and getting worse.  There's the number of shootings in our area since the first of the year, which have skyrocketed almost beyond belief.  There's the anger, hatred and racism rampant and maybe on the rise in the US.  Ted Nugent recently, as I'm sure you know, said President Obama was like a "coyote who needed to be shot" (all coyotes do, apparently), and that, if the President is re-elected he--Nugent--"will either be dead or in jail at this time next year."  Apparently this remark is so egregious that even the Secret Service was roused from its drug-and-prostitute-fueled stupor to look into it.  Even if, as is likely, I suppose, he's just being his usual blowhard wackjob outrageous adolescent attention-craving asshole self and doesn't, in fact, intend to shoot Obama, how many John Hinckley/Mark Chapman types are there out there who would find their own like-minded beliefs validated by such dangerous words?  If not a boast of his own plans, it's at least an implicit call to action for a nation of heavily-armed and frightened white guys.

We have lost all touch with civility in public discourse and any sense of propriety in this country, it seems.  In Walpole, NH, for instance, there lives a retired cop--a representative of government and order-- from NYC who, while driving a car with an American flag fluttering in the wind as he goes to buy his lottery tickets, wears Tshirts and posts signs in his yard saying "Obama Sucks." "Protect and Serve," indeed.  I'm not at all patriotic (see Vonnegut, "granfalloon"), but Jesus, that's the POTUS, not some third baseman or point guard who plays for a team you hate.  How have we gotten here?

Then there's the whole issue of privacy in this country.  We willingly give it up by having computers (hello!) and cellphones and facebooks and blogs (hello!), and there are cameras everywhere now, but the whole drone thing scares me to death.  It's here already and it's gonna be overwhelming and entrenched soon.  Before too long the skies are going to be filled with unmanned spycraft we won't be able to see.  Like some ugly mid-20th century nightmare science fiction, our every move is going to be watched and catalogued by someone.  How the hell have we gotten there?  More importantly, how do we get out of this mess we have put ourselves in, and continue to do?  Like the proverbial frog in the pot of cold water, the heat is being turned up slowly enough that we don't notice that we're  getting close to the boiling point, at which time we're cooked.

So this week on the radio, a smorgasbord, a sampler of issues and ills and ideas:  some "Mayday" (or month) songs, since the show is on May 1, some songs of anger and hatred, of spying and watching.  As JT has it, "I can't help it if I don't feel so good." Those of you who can help it: mazel-tov.  Hope you can join me on Tuesday, noon-till-two eastern at 100.1 FM, or at wool.fm on the Gore-o-phone.

By the way, the correct response to the age-old question that prompted this post's title is always, of course, "Honey, you look fabulous in everything and in nothing."  Isn't it?

9 comments:

  1. I hear you Mark. I have a REALLY hard time letting go of all this heinous bullshit, too. There's so much being said & done, or unsaid & undone, that's just WRONG. And for decades, I've been diligently reading about it, & thinking about it, & flapping my jaws about it, & voting about it, and, as far as I can discern, it hasn't made a shit bit of difference. So, maybe it's time to just stop already. Repeating the same actions over & over again & expecting different results is one definition of insanity. It's obvious that the "system" will not, indeed cannot, respond rationally to the problems we face. It's way too broken. We had a go with "hope." Didn't work out (despite Obama's best efforts). As someone said to me the other day, "the less I know about what's going on in the world, the happier I am." Maybe that's the only sane response. Too dark? I don't know if that's possible. Have a nice day! -Jeff-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hasn't the world always been about to come to a horrible end? Could it be OK for us to keep dancing on the heads of our own little pins, even as the drones take note and Ted Nugent wants his ugly 70s polyester shirt back? Does the one who dies with the most righteous despair win?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but as some Irish poet said once, "the best lack all conviction, while the worst are filled with a passionate intensity...". And while it is certainly open to question, depending on where you're standing, who is "best" and who is "worst," if, nature abhorring a vacuum and all, one cedes choice, decision-making, action, someone else will gladly step up and make a choice, take an action. And future events may be irrevocably determined by that. Do we owe anything to the future? What, and how?

      My father once scoffed at my nuclear weapon angst with that same argument: "When the crossbow was invented, people thought it would mean the end of the world." Surely there is a difference, and surely it is easier to see total destruction from split atoms run rampant than from a rain of arrows. Who is to say now whether the world will end in a bang or in a whimper--but should we simply let it play out? "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (sic) to do nothing...."

      Delete
    2. Oh, and by the way, nice "Ocean's Eleven (remake)" reference; I shoulda thought of that.

      Delete
  3. Yes, there have been many disappointed doomsayers in history, and they tend to be lost to memory. What we do remember though, are the few courageous men and women that despite unspeakable horrors suffered, still carry on... Czeslaw Milosz wrote "there is so much death and that is why affection for pig tails, bright colored skirts in the wind, for paper boats no more durable than we are" ...
    From his poem "Gift" he said "....there was no thing on earth I wanted to possess. I knew no one worth my envying him. Whatever evil I had suffered, I forgot. .... In my body I felt no pain. When straightening up, I saw the blue sea and sails."

    Who knows what tomorrow brings? In large part, it will bring what we bring to it. Tomorrow also brings good music, noon till two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. abf, Yes, throughout history, many people have been convinced that Armageddon, or some variation thereof, was right around the corner. And, sometimes, they've been right. The world as a whole may not have ended, but that is not to say that certain precincts were not visited with wholesale desolation. The catalog of genocides & catastrophes is endless. I think the difference this time around, & it's a significant difference, is that we have scientific evidence that the world, as we have always known it, is slipping away. Without the grandchildren, this would be somewhat easier to digest. I could just ramp up my meditation practice & focus on staying in the moment. As it is, however, the awareness that my grandchildren may be advancing into some kind of apocalyptic, Cormac McCarthyish future is a bit of a distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was listening to npr yesterday, a story about our withdrawal from Afghanistan and it's consequences. The reporter was telling us about a young Afghani girl who escaped to a US military base, within the compound, to save her life from her brothers... who felt a duty to God to execute their little sister, who had shamed the family when she was discovered to have a cell phone, and was over heard to be talking to a boy. How can we get our heads around that? How can we say that, oh well, that's their culture, that's their buisness, who are we to impose our morality on them?, and really, what can we do? How many of our sons and daughters are we willing to sacrifice to that end? It's really overwhelmingly sad. It makes you want to collapse in a dark corner and pull the covers over our heads.
    Then there is the irrefutable evidence of the warming of our planet and the possibility of dire consequences. Are we in unprecedented times? Are our fears more "real" than a person's fears two hundred years ago? I don't think so, there's always been lots to worry about, and we are living longer than ever before. There has always been the possibility of a species wide extinction from a giant asteroid crashing into earth. It's the predicament of our mortality, our embodiment. Do we allow ourselves to love knowing that sooner or later we will lose that love? Do we stop having children, because this is no world to bring them into? For me, I'll take that risk, and hold my grandchildren, and help raise them to love life and carry on. What do you guys think?
    Mark, I believe more than ever that we should speak up and call out injustice and evil. It's our responsibility as a moral citizen of this world. I appreciate your caring, your rants, and I hope you keep on. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As ever, Tom, thanks for the thoughtful response--and the praise. I don't really know how to live anymore; is it better to just go through life somewhat mindlessly, head down, focused only on our own lives and that over which we have a modicum of control? There's a lot to be said for that, but I feel like I'm cursed to do otherwise, that, ineffectual as it may be, there's something more moral and important even in just noticing and commenting, and even if nothing concrete comes of that.

      Delete
  6. Actually Mark, sounds like you do know how to live. Your curse is a burden, but one that I know you'll carry on. There are so many questions, with few clear cut answers. When I think about who has had the most influence in my life, I find that's its the men and women who live ordinary lives, and find themselves in extraordinary circumstances and carry on selflessly, refusing to stay down when they get knocked flat to the mat. I do think there is a lot of good in this world, if we look for it.
    Great to see your place! I forgot to look for what I imagine to be the world's largest collection of music, from old vinyl albums to cds. Next time.

    ReplyDelete