Monday, May 7, 2012

"We All Have Our Demons...

I don't really think anyone comes here with heightened expectations, but if you do, this week you'll be especially disappointed.  Basically, I got nothin'.  Oh, I mean I had stuff in mind, but time and ennui--not really that, but some other emotional issue for which I don't even know the French word--got in the way.  That and current (Popolo--the most fabulous restaurant in the history of Bellows Falls, opening in late May, I think) and prospective work, that is: there're only so many hours in the day, after all, unless, like Gary Smith, you've apparently made a pact with Someone to freeze or extend time; mere mortals can only do so much.

So this mere (among the merest) mortal has only this:  the debut album by Alabama Shakes, and some recent obsessions of mine (that was gonna be the basic theme: Obsession, about which I know a little, mostly having to do with buying music) like John Hartford, Mose Allison, Osibisa, Mongo Santamaria, Lee Oskar, and Michael Nesmith (yes, that one).  I think the music'll be good even if the blog isn't.

I'm introducing a new feature this week, though: "Name that Title Inspiration."  In the '70s, when Todd Rundgren was a Wizard and a True Star, he included a response card in one of his albums whereby, simply for filling it out and sending it in to his record company, you would have your name listed in the liner notes of his next album.  The only person I know of who did so was John Neal, of Walpole, NH (then and still).  So if you can identify the source of a particular post's title, I'll be glad to let everyone know in the next post. How exciting, huh?

Hope to see you on the radio tomorrow, noon till two.

...And sometimes they escape."




1 comment:

  1. You know, Mark, if you keep putting your day job ahead of your art, you're never going to become rich & famous.

    ReplyDelete