Sunday, May 27, 2012

Summer in Paris. Some're not. Somme isn't.

Well, gardening apparently didn't float anyone's boat, at least enough to write a response.  If it's angst and controversy you're wantin', you'll be left wantin' this week, too.  I am apparently riding a wave of contentment and Wellbutrin--er, wellbeing-- right now.

Two events in the coming week have my attention and a share of my show: Bob Dylan's 71st(!) birthday on May 28, and Mariah Edson's trip to France on June 3.  I'll start with Mariah.

Mariah has always had an interest in other cultures and languages, perhaps since she is multicultural herself.  She taught herself Japanese at a ridiculously young age, took 3 languages in high school and 2 others in college, and did the Middlebury/Monterrey intensive 4 week course in French at 15, before she'd ever set foot in a French classroom.  She's been looking for another intensive immersion experience, and we were lucky enough to find one.  Through a former colleague at UNH (Sandell Morse if you're wondering, Brock and Becky R.), we found a couple whose son has just gotten married and moved out.  They live in Vincennes, a 15-minute Metro ride from Paris.  Valerie, the nascent host-mom, does some sort of translation work, but wants to improve her English; so, with method, means and motive in place, Mariah will spend June, July and August in France, room-and-board-free, improving her French and Valerie's English.  C'est tres bon ("It's wicked good!")!

And before this goes further into holiday newsletter territory, on to Zimmy.  I don't know about you, but I still tend to think of people as being in the same age range as they were when I first came to know or know of them.  Since I haven't aged, why would they?  So it's a little staggering to realize that Dylan's that old.  As I've always had the body of a sixty-year old and have finally aged into it, Dylan's chronological age has caught up to his voice.  I've always actually liked Dylan's "singing,"  but I know that probably most of you reading this don't share that view.  Since I just got a Dylan covers album by Bryan Ferry (of Roxy Music) and since Maria Muldaur and Dave's True Story (at least) have done entire albums of  Dylan covers, I thought I'd do a show of 'em, and not just from those three artists.

So this week, one hour of songs about French, France, et Paris, and one hour of folks doing covers of Dylan songs.  Hope you can join me, noon till two, eastern, or wool.fm intergalactically.  See you then.

"You're gonna make me lonesome when you go...."

3 comments:

  1. Wow, isn't that great. I hope Mariah has the time of her life. I am a Dylan fan, but will be away from Wool's reach I'm afraid. Glad to hear you're well Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I will be on the road to Shirley by 11 and so will MISS this, dammit, since I am one who is drawn to the songs but turned away by the Voice...so all the covers would be compelling...
    re Paris - when I was younger than Mariah, I discovered Edith Piaf (the 78's disappeared somewhere in the 70's..) Will you play La Vie en Rose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, gardening does float my boat, and I was bummed to not only have no time to reply, but couldn't even listen last week. Sigghhhh... and I don't even have a garden this year. My four foot square plot which is a section of a long narrow community garden in front of my NYC apartment building has been temporarily requisitioned for other purposes. Ah well, next year will come in the blink of an eye. Much as Dylan's birthday did. I love Dylan, and can probably never get enough of him, so I'm a happy camper today. Although FYI I prefer the genuine voice to the covers.

    So excited for Mariah - what a wonderful way to spend the summer!

    ReplyDelete